What is a Hall Stone Lodge?
At a special meeting of Grand Lodge in June 1919, the Grand Master, the Duke of Connaught, expressed a wish that a memorial be established to commemorate those brethren who had made the supreme sacrifice in the 1914 - 1918 war. It was agreed that this memorial should be a building of a central home for Freemasonry on a site to be selected in London.
The Masonic Million Memorial Fund was launched in September that year and brethren at home and overseas were invited to contribute to raise the £1m needed to finance the work. Contributions from individuals and Lodges were recognised by the reward of a commemorative Hall Stone Jewel.
The form of the jewel is symbolic for the side squares are inscribed the dates 1914-1918: four years of supreme sacrifice. In The centre is a winged figure, supporting a Temple, representing Peace. The jewel is suspended by the square and compasses, two of the great though Emblematic Lights in Freemasonry and is attached to a ribbon which is worn around the neck of the Worshipful Master as part of his Masonic clothing.
The wearing of the Jewel by the Master of a Lodge fulfills a double purpose.